Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is Mendeley?
Mendeley Desktop and Reference Manager are free reference programs for students and researchers. You can use Mendeley to generate citations and bibliographies in Microsoft Word, LibreOffice and LaTeX. You can also read and annotate full-text articles and import and organise PDFs from your computer.
Mendeley Reference Manager is the new version of the reference manager that replaced Mendeley Web Library on September 07, 2020. Mendeley Desktop will continue to be available, see Mendeley Support Center
Mendeley Cite is the new citation add-in for Microsoft® Word, usable with Microsoft 365 if applicable. The new citation add-in now exists as a standalone application, which means that you can use it without having to open or even install Mendeley Reference Manager, as well being able to use it with online versions of Word.
Be aware that on ISC-hosted work spaces you cannot install 'Mendeley Cite' yet, as they haven't activated Microsoft 365-addins yet (July 2021).
The current version is for Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Android.
In Mendeley Desktop version 1.19.8 (2021):
- removed the "Related Documents" option from the UI
- removed the options of creating public and invite-only groups
- removed external group links
- removed external links to user profiles
- removed the "Literature Search" option from the UI
- removed the "Invite Colleagues" option from the UI
- accessing your Mendeley library after the mobile app is no longer available
In Mendeley Reference Manager 2.52.0:
You can now:
- Copy a reference as a formatted citation by right clicking on a reference and selecting the Copy Formatted Citation option. In this version the reference is copied in the APA style and the feature is currently only available in your personal library. Additional styles and the ability to use this feature within a group will be part of a future release
- Delete file(s) that are attached to a reference in a group
We have fixed an issue where:
- Screen readers were failing to read items displayed on the preferences panel
- Some references were missing auto-generated citation keys when exporting as BibTeX
Other Reference software
||This is an online program that makes it easy for researchers to collect, manage, store and share all kinds of information, and to generate citations and bibliographies.
Zotero is the only research tool that automatically detects content in your web browser, which you can then add to your personal library with a single click. See als the Zotero course.
Simply drop by at informationdesk of the Library of Science, Heyendaalseweg 135, for personal instruction.
Mendeley webinar 25 Feb 2021