Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
From key concepts to search terms
Once you have determined your key concepts you start gathering search terms. The right search terms are the most important conditions for an effective search.
Example: from key concepts to search terms
Topic : Investigating people's behaviour on social media in South Africa
There are three main keywords/ concepts in this topic:
- social media
- South Africa
For each main keyword you can think of search terms:
- social media = social media, viral content, new media, social networking service, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, blog …
- behaviour = behaviour, behavior, functioning, reaction, operation, working, performance…
- South Africa = South Africa, Republic of South Africa, Africa, Johannesburg, Cape Town…
Formulating search terms
Make an exhaustive list of terms related to your keywords or concepts of your topic.
When generating search terms, keep this in mind:
- Broader terms
- Narrower terms
- Related terms
- Translation into languages relevant for subject and discipline
- Spelling variations
You can also check:
- Translation Dictionaries
- Literature you already found